Backpacker or flashpacker?
STATE OF SHOP has hit the road and relocated our HQ to a beachside bungalow in Thailand for the next month – oh the joys of online shopping, it means we can go anywhere in the world and still keep tabs on our favourite stores. (You can follow all our Thailand updates on INSTAGRAM)
Since being here we’ve noticed two very distinct types of travellers (not including the families and high-end sorts) – everyone on the islands is either a backpacker or flashpacker.
Backpackers are the young twenty-somethings or the full-time nomads, travelling on a shoe-string, staying in dorm rooms with fans only, and making the most of happy hour.
The flashpackers are a little bit older, they’ve got a more money to spend, they can afford their own air-conditioned room, and they can still buy cocktails after 7pm.
But regardless of how much baht they’ve got stashed in their pocket or travel compendium, we’ve noticed some pretty cool threads on our fellow travellers, so we were inspired to do a post on beach holiday fashion.
Take your pick – are you a backpacker, or a flashpacker?…
THE DAY BAG, from left to right:
- BACKPACKER - Kimchi Blue Envelope Zip Backpack from URBAN OUTFITTERS – US$49.00
- FLASHPACKER - Marc by Marc Jacobs ‘Domo Arigato Packrat’ Backpack from NORDSTROM – $199.43
THE SLEEVELESS TOP, from left to right:
- BACKPACKER - Living Doll Neon Strike Tank from THE ICONIC – $29.90
- FLASHPACKER - Cheetara Vest from ALL SAINTS – £45.00
THE BOYFRIEND DENIM CUTOFF, from left to right:
- BACKPACKER - Urban Renewel Boyfriend Denim Short from URABN OUTFITTERS – US$44.00
- J Brand Nash Destroyed Denim Shorts from NORDSTROM – $188.35
THE BANDEAU BIKINI, from left to right:
- BACKPACKER - Roxy Tropic Tango Bandeau Bikini from SURFSTITCH – $69.99
- FLASHPACKER - Ribbons underwire ladder bikini from ZIMMERMANN – $250.00
THE BEACH DRESS, from left to right:
- BACKPACKER - Sass Alana Print Dress from THE ICONIC – $58.95
- FLASHPACKER - Soft Joie Bond Dress from SHOPBOP – $126.49
THE SUMMER SANDAL, from left to right:
- BACKPACKER - Just Because Sari Orange Sandals from STYLE TREAD – $39.90
- FLASHPACKER - Rebecca Minkoff Jura Strappy Sandals from SHOPBOP – $192.70
THE FLOPPY HAT, from left to right:
- BACKPACKER - Braided Trim Floppy Hat from FOREVER 21 – US$10.80
- FLASHPACKER - Tortolla Floppy Hat from ANTHROPOLOGIE – US$58.00
WARM WEATHER SLEEPWEAR, from left to right:
- BACKPACKER - Cami and boy short set from VICTORIA’S SECRET – US$32.50 (11 colours)
- FLASHPACKER - Cosabella Pansy Print Chemise from SAKS FIFTH AVENUE – $161.16
What else do you pack to take on a beach holiday, and where do you shop for it?
Follow us on INSTAGRAM for all our Thailand updates!